The Digital Research & Development Fund for Arts and Culture in Scotland is a partnership between Creative Scotland, the Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC) and the National Endowment for Science Technology and the Arts (NESTA), which aims to support arts and cultural organisations across Scotland to work with digital technologies to:
- expand their audience reach and engagement and/or
- explore new business models.
The Fund will test key propositions facing arts and cultural organisations in Scotland relating to their use of digital technology which expand audience reach and engagement and/or which may open new ways of generating financial revenues.
Expressions of Interest are invited from consortia of up to three Research Organisations (RO) and/or Independent Research Organisations (IRO) to work with arts and cultural organisations and technology providers on projects under the Digital Research and Development Fund for Arts and Culture in Scotland. The RO/IRO may be based anywhere in the UK, although consortia must include at least one Scottish institution.
Research consortia must have demonstrable research expertise in one or more of the Fund’s thematic areas:
- Digital content distribution – delivering content in new ways
- Social media – using technology for interactive engagement
- Making the most of archives through digital technology
- Mobile and location-based services
- Fundraising – using technology to generate giving, sponsorship and membership
- Connecting thinkers with doers: methodologies for emergent collaboration
- 28 March 2012 – Closing date for Research Consortia Expressions of Interest
- 16 April 2012 – Research Consortia EoI short-listing panel
- 25 April 2012 – Deadline for project applications from arts and culture organisations and technology providers
- 11 May 2012 – Closing date for Research Consortia formal applications
- w/c 21 May 2012 – Research Consortia selection panel interviews
- 14 May 2012 – Organisations informed of funding decisions
- 25 May 2012 – Research Consortia applicants informed of final selection outcome
- 1 June 2012 – One day collaborative workshop bringing together successful organisations and the Research Consortia
- 31 March 2013 – All project activity must be completed
Further details of the call and how to apply are available on the NESTA website.